CT Sevens: Everything you need to know!
Cape Town - Cape Town is abuzz with sevens rugby action this week in the build-up to the highly-anticipated third installment of the Cape Town Sevens, the second tournament on the World Rugby Sevens Series.
If you’re attending the event, make sure you know all the ins and outs of what will be happening on Saturday and Sunday.
Is it really sold out?
Yes, all tickets for the event sold out in record time.
Where can I park?
The best place to park would be in the CBD (south of Buitengracht Street), which is (free after 13:00 on Saturday and all day Sunday).
Off-street parking is available at numerous parking garages in the CBD, such as at the CTICC, Ryk Tulbagh Square, Fountain Hotel, Picbel Parkade, Mandela Rhodes and Plein Park.
After you have parked your car, supporters can:
- Use the free event shuttle to the Stadium from the Civic Centre (between 08:00 and 22:15) or Thibaut Square station in Hans Strijdom Avenue (between 09:00 and 22:15). See the MyCiTi Events Shuttle sections below for more information.
- Use the Fan Walk from Waterkant, over the bridge to Somerset Rd and the Stadium.
- On Sunday, between 10:30 and 14:00 in front of the Salesian Institute on Somerset Road along the Fan Walk, there will be a pop-up Street Store (www.thestreetstore.org), where members of the public can donate clothes for the homeless to enjoy a dignified “shopping” experience for free. This is part of World Street Store Day, a South African initiative.
Please note: There will be NO public parking available at Cape Town Stadium and exiting from other parking facilities close to the venue will take a lot of time at the end of play on each day.
Parking for people with disabilities:
- Dedicated parking has been allocated on DF Malan Drive for those attendees with disabilities who wish to use the stadium shuttle. Only people with an official disability permit from the City will be allowed to park in this dedicated parking area.
- Ticket holders must formally request access to the parking bays dedicated to people with disabilities by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Eventgoers will have to provide evidence that they are entitled to these parking bays by clearly displaying the Vehicle Access Permit (VAP) in full colour on their dashboard when entering the parking area (P5) on Vlei Road. Failure to display will result in access being denied.
- Enquiries regarding the limited parking within the stadium for people with disabilities can also be emailed to email@example.com.
- Parking for people with disabilities is issued at the discretion of the event organiser and is subject to availability.
Are any roads closed?
- Granger Bay Blvd
- Vlei Road
- Fritz Sonnenberg Road
Can I use public transport to get there?
MyCiti Bus will be servicing free rides from the Civic Centre and Thibault Square stations to the Cape Town Stadium and back. Please present your match day ticket in order to access this free service.
Normal MyCiti services can ONLY be accessed with the MyConnect card, where standard fare applies.
What about the children?
SA Rugby’s Kiddies Village and Club V will be running from 11:00 to 19:00 on both days of the tournament. Entrance is free for all children between the ages of two up to and including 10.
What if I run out of cash?
ATM machines will be stationed on the stadium concourse.
What about food and drinks?
There will be food and beverages stationed throughout the stadium
And if I don’t want to dress fancy?
There will be two retail stalls selling Cape Town Sevens rugby merchandise – situated inside the concourse area.
What’s NOT allowed into the stadium?
- Any food or beverages bought outside
- Any musical instruments (such as vuvuzelas)
- Any illegal substances
- Fire arms and other weapons
- Fire works
- Gates open every morning at 09:00
- Day one – first pool match kicks off at 10:15 and the last match at 19:56, finishing at approximately 20:18
- Day two – first knock-out match kicks off at 10:36. The Cup final will start at 19:44
- Trophy presentation thereafter
What time do the Blitzboks play on Saturday?
- 12:49 against Russia (match 8)
- 16:10 against France (match 16)
- 19:56 against Kenya (match 24, final encounter of the day)
What other entertainment can we expect?
- Paxton Fielies (Idols SA 2017 winner)
- Black Ties Ensemble
- George Avakian
- Jimmy Nevis
- Belinda Davids
- Street Stylers
- First Project
- DJ Battle
For all emergencies at the Cape Town 7s tournament please contact the emergency line on (021) 430 7389