WP deny making offer to Du Toit
Cape Town - Western Province Rugby Uniuon (WPRU) CEO Rob Wagner has emphatically denied that Western Province have made any offer to Sharks Springbok Pieter-Steph du Toit to continue his career in the Cape from next year.
According to supersport.com, Du Toit told Durban media earlier in the week that he was remaining committed to the Sharks in the face of rumours emanating from Cape Town that a concerted effort was being made to lure him back to the region where he went to school and where his family farms.
“Obviously if Pieter-Steph wanted to move down here we would welcome him with open arms and would be interested, but then so would the Lions and the Bulls, because he is that good a player,” said Wagner.
“But the window period where franchises and unions can negotiate with a player from another union only opens on July 1. And I would never compromise my integrity by breaking the spirit of the agreement. So to say that an offer has been put down and that the Sharks have made counter-offers is incorrect as, quite simply, there has been no offer made.
“If there was interest, it would be expressed after July 1, and not before that, but I want to reiterate that there has been no offer made,” he added.
Du Toit told the Mercury that he wanted to repay the loyalty shown by the Sharks during the time that he was out injured by remaining committed to them for the time being.