SuperSport, Amakhosi share the spoils in Nelspruit

Cape Town - There was no separating SuperSport United and Kaizer Chiefs as they played to a 1-1 draw at Mbombela Stadium in Nelspruit on Friday evening.

As it happened: SuperSport United v Kaizer Chiefs

In a match were chances were a premium, both goals were scored inside the opening 15 minutes as neither side managed to fashion a second goal after the half-time break.

The match started with a bang as SuperSport claimed the lead after just two minutes of play, Mxolisi Macuphu heading home after Bruce Bvuma failed to save Aubrey Modiba's stinging effort.

Chiefs hit back just five minutes later with a great chance of their own, but Ronwen Williams did well to keep out Leonardo Castro's close-range shot.

Amakhosi weren't to be denied in the 14th minute, however, as Khama Billiat picked up the ball on the halfway line and bore down on goal before firing a right-footed shot into the top-left corner from just outside the box.

Castro had another chance to add his name to the scoresheet four minutes later but somehow failed to find the mark from close range, while Billiat saw his close-range volley blocked by Siyabonga Nhlapo's last-ditch tackle.

Both sides created one more noteworthy chance apiece as the first half petered out, with Willard Katsande's long-range strike drawing a fine save from Williams, before SuperSport's Clayton Daniels sliced his shot wide in the 37th minute.

The second half proved to be a closely contested affair, with goalscoring chances few and far between for both sides.

After a somewhat subdued opening ten-minute spell, the match kicked up a gear or two in the 54th minute when Daniels headed just inches wide from Modiba pinpoint free-kick.

The hosts continued to prod and probe and created another good chance in the 65th minute as Evans Rusike forced Bruce Bvuma into making a good reaction save from close range.

And, just three minutes later, SuperSport again went close, this time it was Modiba's turn from the free-kick as he fired a curling shot just wide of the mark.

Teenage Hadebe had a great chance to snatch a late win for Chiefs but he was unable to keep his headed effort down as it landed on the roof of the net.

Modiba, meanwhile, had one last chance from another set piece deep in injury time, but his shot was snapped up with minimum fuss by Bvuma.